Our studio show this year is titled Artifact. It is a theme that conjures up shadow boxes and memorabilia. I decided to make some collages that involve difficult papers and sewing. Someone from Collagarama gifted me some Japanese papers in December. I used the smooth sheets to make Japanese New Year cards. I was left with thick, handmade paper that wasn't suitable for drawing or glueing. These are the base for my collage. I also had some heavily textured paper that looks like dried seaweed. And I had shell buttons, collected over many years.
By chance I had lunch with Tanya this week. She was wearing a bracelet made with shell buttons and leather. They created the inspiration for how I wanted to put together the materials I had gathered. I had a roll of gimp cord in my studio but the cord was not easy to work with because it unraveled when threaded. It took me the entire afternoon to create six pieces. I took the pieces home with the thought that I would finish making the pieces a little at a time. Instead of gimp, I used waxed linen. It was sturdy enough to use without a needle. I managed to complete the rest of the 18 pieces for this project. Now I am considering how to piece these postcard sized works into a larger, cohesive piece.
Leave a Reply.
white marker, double-sided tape, scissors, black paint, glue stick