This second piece speaks to the brief rivalry between Marthe de Meligny and Renee Monchaty over Pierre Bonnard. Based on the painting, "jeunes femmes au jardin," this diorama depicts the battle between the women over their lover, depicted here as a pathetic dog. It is a tragedy that the loser in this ménage took her own life. It was a time when the only desired option was to marry the man. it was that, or back to black.
Created a window diorama last night just in time for Independence Day. Much time was spent looking for material. Sadly paper dolls made six years ago had faded. I had forgotten how time-consuming it is to fasten all the body parts (I like articulated limbs) and then to cut out the clothing. I particularly love Uncle Sam figures. Paired him with my one faded Betsy Ross doll. Hung the window close to midnight. In the morning I washed the windows and voila!
I rejoined Art Tag after nearly a two year absence. The theme is fauve intimiste. I wanted to familiarize myself with the intimistes and came upon Pierre Bonnard in my research. He had lifelong relationship with Marthe de Meligny, whom he married after living with her 30+ years. Both exceedingly private and spent much time in the privacy of their home. He painted interior scenes and used her as his primary model. He painted her as a wanton nude and an exuberant bather. For this project, transformed an old knickknack shelf into a "madison du reclus." The details of the chambres include ornate framed images that I made from moldy postcards, veneer samples and trimmings.
A third Wind Traveler started, this time for China. Luckily I found my template pretty easily in my messy studio. Made a sample with funeral paper scraps.
I also made my first batch of messy calligraphy. Love the Basho haiku I used originally. My goal is to make as many of these breast pods as possible between now and April.
Work completed 4 months after initial concept. What started initially as a piece about the jizo statues morphed into the significance of sewing the garments and dressing the jizos. Work had to be thought through in stages, starting with the papier mache bodies. That took a lot of time and messy work. My studio will never look the same. Patience had to be exercised in the layering and waiting for each layer to dry before applying the next. Thank goodness for good YouTube instructions on how to make papier mache forms. The first one nailed it. I watched two more. The last one was a disaster and if I had happened upon that one first I would have been in trouble. While the layers dried, I knitted the caps. Luckily I had just enough leftover yarn to make all of them. Found a simple pattern on the internet. Of course, I only got the hang of knitting it at the very end. Some of the early caps are quite misshapen. Never mind...Once the forms were strong enough and dry enough I sanded them, added little noses, and put a layer of gloss medium on. Then a couple of layers of black paint. I had initially thought to paint a fancy faux granite finish but the forms looked just as good black. There was a month's interruption with work before I could go back to the project again. Luckily the next step could be done at home. I found all my red and pink fabric from my fabric stash in the basement. At first I used a pattern for aprons, thinking I would need to do it all very carefully. Soon I figured out that I could use a rectangle of fabric and torn strips for the sash. Cut up the fabric into piles of 10. Ten aprons to sew each day. Didn't quite follow that regimen but was close. In the end I even made patchwork sashes. As I tied the completed bibs onto the forms they started to come alive.
I try to make 10 bibs a day towards a final number of 108. It's been fun finding all the red and pink fabrics from my large stash bins. Only took me a dozen bibs to figure out a method for sewing these things. The first ones I used a pattern, which was ridiculous. The jizo shapes are getting nice and rounded with the piles of aprons on them. Sewing is a very calming activity and because I am using multiple fabrics, it is never boring. The very act of making the bibs makes me think of mothers and babies and lost children.
Dolls dressed with the first set of bibs. Haven't decided whether to keep the dolls a uniform black color or not. Have had no time to go into the studio and thankfully the bib-sewing can be done from home. So glad the caps got knitted early. Starting to breathe life into these creatures.
Hats were knitted from an easy baby cap pattern downloaded from the web. All yarns were leftover balls from past knitting projects. I am sticking to a color palette of red and pink. Interesting how the sculptures acquire humanity when these caps are put on.
white marker, double-sided tape, scissors, black paint, glue stick